Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Grand Palace

  Today we visited the Grand Palace. First let me say it is a beautiful place! All the incredible work that went into that place is amazing. Unless you see it for yourself the pictures will never do it justice but here are a few anyway.




  We had a lot of fun going through the museum and learning about some of Kannika's heritage. The museum had on display so many items from the current King and Queen and all the monarch's in the past. Then we headed to the Emerald Buddha to see the grounds there. Those buildings they have built are amazing! The different colored glass tiles on the outside of each building and the hand painted tiles. The Emerald Buddha was a very pretty statue as you would imagine that much emerald would be. We walked in and I was staring at the structure and just admiring the craftsmanship when I looked down and realized all of the people in front of me on their knees praying to the Buddha. I was really struck with sadness. I had been viewing these buildings as just pretty old buildings that people made but these people were there to worship. It was so sad to realize all of those beautiful buildings were built to impress a god that doesn't exist. It reminded me a little bit of the tower of Babel story. They built these big buildings hoping to reach Heaven on their own. That is essentially what they have done there... built big impressive buildings hoping to impress their god. We toured the rest of the grounds and marveled at the amount of time it must have taken to build all of that. Last we actually got to see the Grand Palace which isn't actually where the king lives which is why tourists are allowed in there. It was a big nice looking place with a guest house (mansion) that visiting dignitaries do stay in. It's where our President stayed when he visited a few years ago. We got to see the palace the King actually lives in the other day when we were at the zoo. It's across the street from the zoo. You can't see much of it but the grounds are beautiful. It is surrounded by an actual moat I thought that was cool. It is also the only place we have seen armed guards in Bangkok.
  Kannika had an okay day. Lots of tears today and she wasn't really interested in eating after breakfast. She just wanted to cry and sulk which of course is to expected. At the end of the day though right before bedtime she did crawl up in my lap and let me read her a book and comfort her. So that's a great thing. She is taking her time and grieving but still looking to us for comfort when she's ready.
  We ate at the Mali (our new favorite restaurant) again today. There is this older white man that has been there every time we eat there. He is usually drinking a Heineken and is always by himself. I've always been kinda sad to see him. I have no idea what his story is but I feel like I can see regret in his face. When he stares into the distance and just sighs it's just so sad. Tonight for the first time he said hi to us and interacted with Kannika a little more. He's probably getting to used to seeing us. We've been there 6 times in 7 days! I pray for him off and on as we sit there. I will probably always pray for him whenever I think about this seemingly sad and lonely man sitting in a whole in the wall restaurant in Thailand.

No comments:

Post a Comment